Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Difference Between Men and Women

I have been battling my weight for many years, probably since adolescence. It is a frustrating battle. I was always active, involved in sports and leisure activities, but the weight always hung on, no matter what I did or did not eat. I think I really messed things up when I was about 15, going through long starvation stretches, and periods when I wouldn't eat more than 400 calories a day. The metabolism adjusts itself to such severities, in self-preservation.

Since my last pregnancy, and a subsequent return to college, I've really had a battle. The pounds creep on, regardless of my faithfulness to the gym and salads.

Well, DH decides he's put on too much weight recently, too. (He doesn't even have a belly to speak of...just a slight rounding in front, where he used to be concave, and flat.) He decides to lose it...goes for a week without bread, substitutes extra servings of fruit and veggies and goes to the gym maybe four times in four weeks.

Today, he announces, he's lost 10 pounds. In four weeks. Ten pounds.

I've been strictly disciplined all summer and lost only 7. Almost 4 months, 7 pounds.

And that, my dear, is the difference between men and women.

Not fair, is it?

1 comment:

Luna said...

I hear you sister. Know what's even more unfair is that men gain weight, and most of them don't even CARE!!!! That's the best. My husband used to be fit as a fiddle, now, he's put on some 20lbs since we've been married, and he could care less.

Don't you wish you could "not care"? Seems like it would be half the battle.