Thursday, November 02, 2006

I am reading a book I picked up in the library while just browsing, called Music Lessons: Guide Your Child to Play a Musical Instrument. As I am a music teacher, who teaches privately, I like to know what's being said about us. I also read these parents' books from time to time to pick up parenting tips. Anyway, I think this is a very good read for parents. I wish I had had it years ago to give copies of to all my students' parents.

I've often wondered why some students are very successful, some moderately so, and some, sadly, give up before they have a chance to shine. What is the formula? I've thought it was something like,
1. First, a desire within the child to create music.
2. The right teacher - warm, enthusiastic about music in general, flexible to different student learning styles, open to different methods and genres of music, skilled in the area of instruction.
3. Encouraging parents who provide, and insist upon, regular practice time in a quiet environment conducive to good concentration...mixed with a generous dollop of praise for sincere efforts.

Yet, sometimes, I've had students with seemingly all of the above, and they lose interest over time, even after fantastic success, and fizzle out. Others doggedly plod on through the years with little or no inspiration, and continue through high school graduation. Why do these lack the success that seems inevitable?

And my idea of success is not necessarily performance at Carnegie Hall. My idea of success is a lifelong love of learning, of developing skill, tastes, and perhaps venturing into new instruments and areas of musical expression.

In reading this book I am hoping to find a key that may have been missing for me. I want 100% of my students to be successful, and anything less feels like failure to me, personally.

And, on another personal note, Little-Sir-3-Year-Old has a hereditary love for music, and begs to play all the instruments he sees. About a month ago, I introduced him to his sister's old violin, thinking he'd play around for a few minutes, then lose interest and go back to his trucks and toy horses. Even tho' it's too big for him, he instinctively holds the bow correctly, and positions the violin quite well. He'll take 30 min. or so of mini lessons from me, and often will take the instrument out 4 or 5 times in one day. He's thrilled whenever I suggest it, and the promise of it will instantly snap him out of a cranky moment. I bought him a harmonica recently, too, so he can have his expression any time he likes, whether I'm home or not (he's not allowed to play the violin unless I or his sister are home to supervise. Respect for the instrument must be taught young.) Tonight, it was just the two of us home, so I put on Handel's Messiah full-blast, got out my flute, and the violin, and we had a joyous hour playing along. Of course he can't read notes yet, but the violin is tuned so that any string he plays won't sound off pitch with our selections.

I'm going to keep reading this book, and hopefully, with this little one, I'll get the formula just right.

2 comments:

Nan Patience said...

I tried getting my daughter started on the piano a couple of years ago. Actually I just gave the thing away the other day--a big old heavy upright with beautiful sound. I wish for her that she would know how to play a musical instrument, that enjoyment in playing and listening to the language of music her whole life. But between the two of us, we couldn't make it go. I take it as a failure. Let me know if you find a key.

Her music teacher at school is fantastic, though. Her name is Margherite Volonts. I took the kids out to hear her sing with an orchestra the other night. It was wonderful! What a set of pipes.

j-m said...

At school, is she singing in chorus? This sounds promising. Sometimes, when "failures" happen, it's a bad fit with the chosen instrument, the teacher, or just timing. In 20+ yrs of teaching, I've seen all kinds...sometimes, a kid struggles with one instrument, then discovers herself in a different one. (actually, that happens a lot!) Not everyone who tries piano likes it...but, maybe the answer is flute, or guitar, or something totally different...or timing. This morning, a student (she's in 6th grade and has/is playing piano, sax, clarinet with me) who'd previously given up guitar because it was "boring" decided on the fly to do guitar today. (I don't care what instrument we do...my time is the same.) After a very productive lesson, that was quite fulfilling for both us us, she remarked..."I don't know why I didn't like guitar before. This was really fun!" And she had all these ideas of picking out new tunes for us to work on next lesson. The last drudgerous guitar lesson we had was full of sighs and rolled eyes, and nothing I did could get past that. Go figure. Time, maturation, change in other outside circumstances...don't give up. Dr. Suzuki believed everyone could play, given the right formula, and I believe it. I've had a lot of people come to me that've failed previously (and others that've left me, and later go elsewhere.) (Check out the book Music Lessons: Guide Your Child to Play a Musical Instrument, by Stephanie Stein Crease. Prob. could interlibrary loan it.)
keep your options open,
j-m