Saturday, November 03, 2007

Interviews and Other Surprises

Got a call back to another round of interviews, yesterday, which I hear is a good thing. One is a leave replacement (not really what I want...only get sub-pay, no benefits, etc.) and one is a real job opening in Sept.

The same day, I got an email which flattered and terrified me. Let me back up a bit...

Last semester, I had the blessed fortune to bond with 3 other ladies in my program, who had pretty much the same college schedule. 2 are also married mommies, the other an engaged-mommy-wannabe. As this department is especially fond of assigning group projects, we decided to get ahead of the professors and make our own group. (We've all had the horrible experience of being assigned to a partner(s) who does no/terrible work, and have had a stressful time of it, with grades suffering because of it.) It worked out great for us, as our talents compliment each other, and we had a blast working together (at someone's house over wine and cheese...doesn't get any better, right?) Sometimes the kiddies came along and had their own fun time in the other room. Well, one particular project took us months to do, as it counted as 40% of the grade, and was to be part of our professional portfolio...we wanted it to be awesome. We designed a high school math curriculum for English language learners of multiple levels of English proficiency and from diverse first languages. It was very involved, with lots of hands-on, kinesthetic learning, different technology media and translated/adapted texts.

Well, our professor (who, it turns out, is in a very influencial position in this particular discipline's international community) was quite impressed, and instructed the rest of the class that this was the model lesson, what to strive for. She asked us a lot of questions, how we did each phase, and seemed very pleased. Afterward, she took us aside and told us she was on the committee for 2008 international convention, which happens to be in NY this time, and asked if we would present there. Wow! My friend (very quick on the uptake) said, "Sure, if you give us all letters of recommendation!" She said she was already doing that, this was beyond that. Ok ... sure, why not?

I promptly put it on the back burner, and got on with my life, on to the next assignment for the next class, etc. Didn't exactly forget about it, but really didn't think about it. I figured it was going to be a small thing off in a corner room, not so important.

Ha! Well, got an email from the organization, saying our proposal (what proposal???) had been accepted by the committee and that they were very excited about our presentation, blah blah blah...did we need a projection screen, any other tech. devices??? Lots of info, etc.

sigh

so, it's for real.

ok.

I can do this.

You see, I do NOT like being watched, don't
like being front and center, don't like being judged...and here, we will be on display before hundreds of people. Oh, goody.

7 comments:

Nan Patience said...

How exciting! Congratulations, you clever, clever girl.

j-m said...

I am not at all sure that I am excited, but thanks.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

That sounds wonderful, good for you! I am not too fond of being the center of attention either. No matter how many public speaking/communication classes I took to help this problem, I still hate all the eyes on me. Somehow you will get through and and do a fabulous job!

j-m said...

Thanks. I am already having fears about runs in my stockings, slip showing, hair all messed up in the back, mascara smudged under my eye, blanking out and forgetting what to say, tripping and falling on the platform, and other lovely things my imagination cooks up (most of which have already happened in the past.)

Now, I wonder how much weight/inches I can lose between now and then???

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

When is it?

j-m said...

April 6-8...you doing calculations, too?

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

How much do you wanna lose? If you work super hard, you could lose 6-10 pounds per month. My goal is middle of May. I already lost 17 lbs and I would like to lose 45-50 more. If I don't, I will be happy with whatever, no pressure on myself. If you stress yourself and put a definitive # to how much you want to lose, I find that I will not stick to it, too much stress and pressure. It is good to have goals, but not good to stress over them. I feel great knowing that I am eating right and exercising, looking skinny is just an added bonus ;-)!