Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cleaning, Sorting, Blah Blah Blah

So, I'm trying to get ready for the Big Move. Yuck. I absolutely hate moving. As if December doesn't have enough going on, already. I wish I could just fast-forward to the first week of February, and all this was just a memory of great success!

You never realize how many things you save, until you look at those things and say, "In my deepest heart of hearts, is this thing worth packing and moving and then finding a new place for?" As a teacher, I do accumulate a lot of stuff, all to be used for school projects. I also have 3 sets of encyclopedias. One set we actually bought for No. One Son many eons ago, and two I inherited when another school was throwing them out. (I just can't stand to see good books thrown away.) So, I've decided to regift them to the school I'm currently working in. (I recall a 4th grade teacher recently bemoaning to me their lack thereof...so...Happy Holidays, Mrs. M., hear ya go! The last set will be used for my students.)

My goal today, after I'm done with a mountain of paperwork I am currently taking a break from, is to fill up two big garbage cans outside with non-give-awayable stuff. There shall be freebies on the curb soon, too.

ok

back to work

sigh

5 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Organizing requires so many decisions that were deferred, what to keep and what to let go of... You have my sympathies!

Unknown said...

God Bless whomever invented FreeCycle. As I age I realize half the crap I thought was sentimental was really just crap! It helps to be in a happly place, the rest is just stuff :) Good for you, JM, I hope it is cathartic :)

j-m said...

Hmmm...cathartic? Maybe. I definitely am guilt-free when chucking toys with broken/missing parts, incomplete puzzles, etc., and finally giving away those hand-me-downs I've saved for a long-distance relative...taking up space here! And, I have decided, as far as my closet is concerned, if it's stained, misshapen, just doesn't look right, it is now a cleaning rag for one of my many projects! (why buy sponges?) I mean, how many cleaning/painting shirts does one really need?

Natasha Beccaria said...

I have found that putting a message on Craigs list that you have stuff in front of your house for FREE, people tend to come and rummage and take. We've done this several times and it has worked like a charm. I always make sure i add to the bottom of the list DO NOT RING DOORBELL - FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!

Where are you moving to? And do you have any baby boys clothes you want to pass on?

j-m said...

Only moving slightly more eastward on the Island, as we are buying my dad's house...very long story...and the baby stuff already has dibs (sorry!)