Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hollywood in Istanbul?

     The 4 kids were unusually quiet (as opposed to their normally rambunctious selves while together, playing soccer and the like), occupying themselves for most of the afternoon on Sunday.  Just before dinner, they came in all excited.  It seems, they made a movie!  They used a cell phone with video capacity and made a series of short films, like separate scenes of the same movie, complete with musical interludes and background sounds.  Resembling some Mafioso-type films, they made a very funny version of their own, pretty authentic, considering what they had to work with.  They are each quite dramatic and creative.  I want them to post it on YouTube.  We'll see what comes of that.

     Ever the ESL teacher, it has given me some ideas for future lesson plans.  For both my elementary school charges and my adult ESL classes at the college, this kind of assignment would be very good for
developing English skills, while their focus is on the creative design of the drama at hand.  At SCCC, we use The Chicken Smells Good, which has some dialogues, and we often act them out.  The classes always enjoy that.  This would take it to the next level.  Maybe we could start with one of the Chicken dialogues, then create a skit to follow.  Hmmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh JM I love to read your blog. Why you haven't written a book is beyond me. So please continue!! Will miss you again I think as I will be in NY beg. of August!
Janet H