Saturday, February 24, 2007

Just a Little Perspective

While struggling to walk across the yard from my car to the house, on ground that had been a mud-slush mess the day before, and now was frozen solid into ankle-breaking bumps and clumps, keeping my face burrowed in my nice, woolly turtleneck, struggling to find the door key with my bulky thermal gloves on, "oofing" because the cold makes me have to pee even more, the cell phone rang. I answered it after I got in the door, because I could see it was DD.

"Hi, Mom!" she says brightly. "What're you doing?"

"I just got home," I said. "What're you doing?"

"Oh, nothing right now. But I'm going to the beach tomorrow with some friends" (she goes to college in sunny Florida.)

"That is not even in my scope of reality right now," I shivered, toying with the idea of actually turning up the heat in the house.

"Oh, it's in the 90's here..."

sigh

1 comment:

Nan Patience said...

Good writin'.