Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Grading Presentations

I am finally home after a veeerrryy long day, during which, among other things, I had to sit through and grade several hours of ESL598 (International Teacher Assistant's) presentations. These grad students are all tops in their fields of study, and had to give a lecture appropriate to their discipline...they were graded on their English fluency, in many miniscule categories.

Imagine how gruelling it is to sit through hour after hour of lectures on such brainy topics as "Nitric Oxide: Good or Evil?," "The Resistor Color Code," and "Homeostasis in the Kidneys." Student after heavily-accented student did their best to impress the audience, to get a good grade on this, their final exam, one more rung on the ladder toward professorship. I really had a hard time following the guy who spoke about "The Stress-Strain Relationship" (which, to my disappointment, had nothing to do with emotional stress.)

There was a good one on "Deer Ticks and Lyme's Disease."

Tomorrow I get to do it all over again.

Oh joy.

2 comments:

TM said...

Actually, it sounds kinda interesting to me...sounds like you'd learn a lot of stuff that could come in handy in trivia games! :)

j-m said...

Yeah. Some of it was. It's just that I have sooo much schoolwork to do, it's frustrating sitting there, when I could be doing research or something. I'm done, tho', and the research all has to be submitted by Tues. Aaaaaaaaaaaack!