Tuesday, October 07, 2008

More Farm Outings

D.H., Little Sir and I tried to go peach picking at Davis 2 weeks ago, but the crowds were insane! By the time we got through the lines, they'd closed the U-pick peach orchard, and had the next section roped off. Those weren't ready yet. We coulda picked plums, but we figured out the price per pound and it was definitely NOT worth it. Plus, it was just wall-to-wall people. Sort of puts a cramp in that whole going-to-the-farm feeling.

So, since we'd had our hearts set on picking, we decided to find SOMETHING to pick. We settled on a smaller farm which had tomatoes, eggplants and peppers $1 a pound. We had a great time, and there were lots of varieties...much more than we'd planted in our garden, which is pretty much done for the season, with the exception of a few tomato stragglers who will be used as fried green tomatoes (mmmmm!) The cherry tomatoes were especially yummy, and have kept well in the fridge. Still haven't used up all of the eggplants, but the bigger tomatoes have been turned into sauces and soups.

But I keep thinkin' about those peaches. I really wanted to pick a big basketful and make compote and things. Think there're any peaches left on trees around here? I think we'll try again.

2 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

What farm had $1 lb. vege's? The little farm down the road from me had their prices go up. During the summer the tomatoes were $1 lb. and now they are over $2. I didn't need tomatoes, but I did notice it with all of their vege's.

I thought peach picking was totally over. I never made it this year and that made me sad. Maybe there is still hope for apples. And I absolutely hate pumpkin picking, I bought a few from the supermarket and I had a few in my garden. My kids haven't asked to go, yet, which is good. It has all become too commercialized for me, so I just don't enjoy it.

j-m said...

I, personally, don't go for the whole agritourism thing, but yet I am glad to see more money being poured toward farmers...if people gotta spend money on somethin' out here, might as well be them. Anything to keep those acres as farms!

We found the $1 veggies on Sound Ave., about 1/2 mi. east of Davis, south side.

I forgot to plant the pumpkins until too late. Next year, we're definitely having a pumpkin patch!