Thursday, November 20, 2008

Forgiveness

I am currently dealing with a complicated and complex family issue which is consuming 'way too much of my time, energy and resources. Got an email from an old friend that, along with co-miserating, suggested that this season of my life might be a time used for dealing with forgiveness...of issues that go back many many years.

And, I agree.

But I find that forgiveness is a process, not a one-time act. And, for me, there seem to be layers, like with an onion. You deal with one forgiveness issue, and then a memory pops up, which presents its own bitterness baggage, and I must face and forgive that incident, that thing that created specific problems, started dominoes falling...and then, SMACK!, there's another memory of another incident that requires forgiveness, which leads to another layer...and so on...and so on.

And, I find this whole process rather uncomfortable.

Just thought I'd share.

4 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

complicated family issues? I am already writing a book on that topic. It is hard to move forward without forgiving. And it is hard to forgive someone for something. It can be done, it just takes time & patience...a lot of it.

Mom of 3 said...

Keeping you in prayer, my friend.

j-m said...

Thank you ! :)
I am praying for grace...for myself, as well as the ability to have it for others. And for understanding. So many things have layers and layers of cause and effect that cannot be seen on the surface.

I am NOT, however, praying for patience. (NT says, "tribulation worketh patience" and I have had ENOUGH tribulation, thank you very much!) If I get patience along the way, wonderful. By osmosis would be good.

Nan Patience said...

Everything is so complicated, isn't it? And the distance between people is enormous. We're all so alike and yet so different. There are so many events that seem like immovable objects in the inner landscapes of our minds.