Friday, April 27, 2007

Finishing Grad School

I read lunachick's entry that she's going back to college. That brought back memories. I still remember the conversation with DH, right after the baby was born. "Now with DD off to school, and some free time, what do you want to do?" "I have a baby." "I know, but if you could do anything...anything with your life, what would you do?" "Well, I've always wanted to be a college professor." "Ok, so do it!" "I need a PhD for that." "So get one." "I have a baby." "I'll watch the baby, I can cook, we'll figure out schedules. If you want to go back to college, then do it!"


Hmmm...and so the wheels started turning in my mind, weighing the possibilities...hmmm.


And so, I did it. Had some changes mid-course, when I found out there are no jobs for university music professors anywhere...got involved with ESL instead, which I'd always dabbled with.

And now, I'm in my last semester of coursework before getting my certification to teach ESL, pre-K through adult. My last final is May 9th. I then have to student-teach in September. Jobs are starting to open up. It felt like it would never get here...it took 3 1/2 years, but here I am. Almost done. Wow.

Now, I'm almost starting to get a little scared. Entering the job market again, now in a different arena. I've never applied for a job teaching at a college before. Or, I could teach in a school district. Have to go through interviews (yuck!) All that self-consciousness...proving oneself...buying professional-looking clothes to make the right impression.

One step at a time.

For now, I have more hours to log, 3 projects, a research paper, and 1 more final to go.


There is light at the end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Wow, that DH is a keeper!

Luna said...

That's awesome Jean Marie--congratulations...you can be my inspiration!!!!!

The job market seems daunting, but once you get there-you'll be fine. It's like riding a bike.......


:):):):):):):):)

j-m said...

Yeah, he is.


And thanks.