Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Resting Post

Sometimes in the busy-ness of my life, Nature takes me by surprise, and puts it all in perspective. Right outside my kitchen window, that overlooks the sink, there is a gate in the fencing, leading to the backyard. Directly in my line of vision is one of the fenceposts to this gate, and it seems to be a resting post for my little feathered friends. Sometimes, a catbird will call from that post, sometimes a cardinal. Chickadees, blue jays, titmice, doves, various wrens and sparrows all take a turn to stop at the resting post, and look into my window.

This morning, in my slightly-running-lateness, I caught a robin staring at me, having recently fluffed himself out, sitting on the resting post. He seemed inquisitive, wondering at my scurryings. To him, the whirlwind of my thoughts would be insignificant. None of my problems have any relevance to his life at all.

If the Almighty can take care of a little one such as this, and this little one can be so unconcerned by the big issues of life that plague me, then perhaps I need a mental, attitudinal adjustment. All my worrying and scurrying makes for stress, which is nothing but destructive.

To that end, I am taking a note from the resting post, and finding resting time, myself.

5 comments:

Luna said...

Those are some great thoughts, lady-it is all about perspective, isn't it?

Love this post. Thanks for sharing.

j-m said...

Thanks. I am really trying to keep this in mind, and make resting time a priority. The stress has gotta go.

Natasha Beccaria said...

nice post!

Nan Patience said...

so true

MamaCole said...

Very nice, Jean marie. you're so right. It's so hard to let go, though.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's loss. I will pray that he can be with his family.