Friday, September 21, 2007

Bubble Tea

Have you ever tried bubble tea? I first heard of it from a fellow grad student/ESL tutor, who raved about it. Then, it popped up in a Buster Bunny DVD we borrowed from the library for Little Sir. It is a Chinese beverage, served hot or cold, and comes in many flavors...almond, taro, mango and other fruits, your typical milk tea, and some that resemble latte/cappuccino. You can get it "with bubbles" or "without." The "bubbles" are tapioca beads, like pearls. You are supposed to drink and eat it with a very wide straw through which the beads can be drawn.

Wednesday evening, I was running a little early to my seminar at Stony Brook, so I popped over to Jasmine, a restaurant in the Wang Center, and bought one. I chatted with the sweet girl, a Chinese barista, also a student at Stony Brook, who gave me lots of info. about the drinks as she prepared mine. I noticed a container of small mango pieces, next to the tapioca beads, that could be substituted for the tapioca in a drink. I thought I might try that next time.

Well...I got my drink, paid for it, and scurried across campus to my class...
While waiting to cross a street, I took my first generous slurp. The liquid portion was pleasantly tasty, and my initial reaction was positive...
then, a split second later my senses registered the sticky globs of yuck sitting on my tongue. I didn't want to bite down on them, and get it stuck in my teeth, so I gingerly pressed one to the roof of my mouth, testing it that way.

Wallpaper paste.
Yup, that's it. Wallpaper paste. The beautiful black pearls in the bottom of my drink tasted like wallpaper paste. Thank God, I'd grabbed a few napkins, and quickly spat them out into one. I then lifted the straw to try to drink the liquid without getting any tapioca in my straw. This was a pretty tricky endeavor, resulting in a few accidentally slipping past, causing me to repeat the napkin process.

Once in class, I toyed with it a bit more, then finally gave up. As much as I hate to waste things, this had to be disposed of. Enough was enough.

I emailed my friend, the bubble-tea-raver. She said her first experience was pretty much the same (she never told me that before!), but she tried again, other flavors, and now she loves it. It's a special treat that she sometimes shares with her 8-year-old son.

Maybe I will try to enhance my intercultural experiences again and attempt a different flavor, perhaps with the fruit. But I think my tapioca bead days are over.

8 comments:

Nan Patience said...

guess it's an acquired taste

Natasha Beccaria said...

sounds weird.

j-m said...

yeah. not all my inter-cultural ventures are enjoyable. But, it's always a learning experience! I can now say I have had Chinese bubble tea.

Luna said...

Never heard of it-isn't it interesting how food can be an "acquired taste"?

Ever taste something and you found you can only appreciate it a second or third time?

Crazy, right?

j-m said...

My tastes have definitely changed over the years. As a kid, I hated PB&Js...now, I like them. Hated liver, lima beans, tomato-based soups...now I like them, and sometimes even crave them. I liked malted milk balls (yuck!), marshmallow fluff (double yuck!), and bubblegum.

Even as an adult, my tastes have evolved. I use a lot more garlic and Mediterranean ingredients than I used to, and stronger tasting foods in general (like arugula and grapefruit.)

But I don't know if I can acquire a taste for wallpaper paste balls.

Luna said...

Ever go to Hawaii and eat Poi? Now THAT is wallpaper paste-blech.

j-m said...

Yeah, I've heard about that. And they serve it with everything, and a slice of pineapple, right?

Not for nothing, but...
I'd go on an all-expense-paid trip to Hawaii if the only catch is I hafta eat poi.

Natasha Beccaria said...

My tastes have changed quite a bit too... I am more willing to try certain veggies (Except broccoli and cauliflower ICK ICK ICK!!!).

Still love those malted milk balls though!