Monday, September 24, 2007

Introductions

My last post, about trying Chinese bubble tea, sparked comments that have brought back lots of memories. Tonight I am having broccoli rabe, or rapini, one of the later adult additions to my personal list of favorites. Working in Italian restaurants, I saw it as a staple veggie on the menus, and decided to try it several years back. It's like broccoli in shape and color, but unlike it in its bitter kick. Broccoli's ok, and cauliflower, too (sorry, Natasha), but broccoli rabe is something special...saute it lightly in garlic and olive oil, serve it over some penne, sprinkle a little parmesan on top and Presto!...you have one of my favorite all time dishes that Number One Son likes, too.

It also makes a wonderful side dish for, or accoutrement to, chicken francaise. Mmmm...

Also, an adult discovery for me, is homemade Manhattan (Long Island) clam chowder. I discovered it a few years ago, when I bought a big basket of seconds tomatoes from a local farm, and was trying to figure out what to do with it. I discovered that if you grate the tomatoes, simmered with onions and garlic, add steamed clams and their broth, add some basil and whatever other herbs you like, spicy or not, adjusted to your own personal taste, and you have one incredible pot of soup. And it's not expensive. Great to make batches of and freeze for cold winter nights to come!

The same base can be used with other shellfish for chowders, as well as just veggie chowder, or with chicken or beef/veal/lamb...you name it. Sooo much better than using canned tomatoes!


Broccoli rabe is starting to come into peak season, so check it out. Tomatoes are at their cheapest and best now, too, available in 15 lb. boxes, etc. from the local farms. Get them before the frost comes!

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Thanks, JM. Simple and delicious, that's what I like.

Big Daddy dug up some clams, mussels, and scungili a couple of weeks ago and made a fantastic chowder very much like the one you describe.

j-m said...

Oohhh...mussels are good, too. I have never eaten fresh scungili, but the canned stuff restaurants often use smells awful. I had it in salad once...gross!

Luna said...

Broccoli Rabe, eh? That was constantly cooking in my house growing up, add some cannellini to it with the garlic and oil-then you can put it over pasta or eat it that way alone. It's a bit bitter for my taste, but lots of people like it.

j-m said...

I have never had it with cannellini, but I can imagine it would be good...and its sweetness would cut the bitterness.

Hmmm...