Monday, September 10, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle and Luciano Pavorotti

The beginning of September marks the passing of two greats in this world. In a world where bland mediocrity is hailed as artistic greatness, both of these heroes represented true genius, in and out of the public spotlight. Although very different on so many planes, L'Engle and Pavorotti were giants in their encouragement of quality education, and in providing an environment for true thinking. They were examples of what we are capable of, and where very few, sadly, choose to go.

I could write pages of blog entries about each of them, but nothing I could say would express who they truly were. In my life, these two will be sorely missed.

2 comments:

Luna said...

Yeah--Madeliene...saw that and felt a little part of me die..I loved those books as a kid.

Luciano?

Not so much....LOL.

j-m said...

A little part of me definitely did die. Not only did I absolutely love every one of her books I found as a child, and shared this love with my mom, I continued to read her NF works as an adult. And then, kept finding more of the fiction works. I still haven't found all of them...I keep getting sidetracked, rereading old favorites. Then, I shared them with my kids, as they grew into them.