Thursday, May 08, 2008

Leave Replacement

Under the category of "Be Careful What You Wish For," I'll now enter, "wanting a FT job in my new certification."

I haven't been blogging, or doing much of anything else, since I started my new job, sort of suddenly.

I should back up. After "Enough is Enough!" and my speaking blessings and positive things, we had a wonderful trip to sunny Florida to go to DD's college graduation. Everything I'd been dreading, fearing, things that potentially could go horribly wrong, did not happen. We, and our luggage, all arrived at the right places, at the right times, together! Amazing. Never had THAT happen before. Our ride was there to pick us up, after a minimal baggage-claim wait. Weather was perfect. We had some R and R time and good visiting time with family and friends. I got some excellent one on one time with DD, and got to see some of her special places (and, we being the crazy ones we are, decided to alter her graduation dress the night before!!! Shoulda taken pictures of that!) I didn't get lost on the long drive from our friends' house to her school and back again, and Little Sir was a real trouper (even when he got sick. Apparently, croup likes to travel, as well.) Thank You, God, for a reprieve from horribleness and giving me some blessing time to bask in.

As soon as we got back, I signed a contract, and Boom! Life as I knew it changed dramatically. I am now a FT ESL teacher. No more subbing. (Yay!) I am in the same school every day, teaching my own students, making my own schedules, learning the ropes of this particular place. But it was definitely diving into the deep end of the pool. I was handed quite a mess, with multiple problems of all different kinds, seemingly right from the beginning of the school year. I am attempting to salvage what is left of the school year, straighten out the mess, assess all those in my care, get them services they've been lacking, target what skills each individual student needs to focus on to be academically successful, and give meaningful instruction. It ain't easy. (Plus, I seem to have picked up a bug early last week, which is hanging on, leaving me drained and with little energy left for the rest of my life, after school.)

Still teaching my private music students, most of whom are headed to NYSSMA. Some are doing excellently, sure to score well, others haven't put in the time they should've and scores will probably reflect that, too. After a frustrating day at Job #1, it is often pleasurably relaxing to sit beside a music student and help them tweak their pieces. There are many times where I think, "I get paid to do this???" Which is good, because it balances out the other, which makes me think "I am not getting paid enough to do this!"

And so goes this next little phase of my life.

How's yours?

5 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

Congratulations on the job!! How wonderful!!!! And congrats on your daughter's graduation, where is she off to next?

Natasha Beccaria said...

Contgrats!! Ive been wondering where you disappeared to. I drive by your house all the time and think of you and Little Sir.

HUGS.

j-m said...

Thanks, ladies. DD's taking a sort of "working sabbatical", academically speaking, waitressing while she pays off loans and figuring out what to do next. She's a bit fried after some intense years of schooling (she started college at 16!)

Natasha, how I wish I could say, stop in when you drive by! But, I'm so rarely actually there. How to do it all...sigh. I just want a 36 hour day...for me...not for the rest of the world.

Natasha Beccaria said...

JM I totally understand. I always said if I saw you outside in the yard I would stop and say hi. I'll keep that promise.

HEY...im getting married on Saturday.... Can you believe it????

j-m said...

Wow...that came us so fast. It seemed so far away for so long! Have a wonderful wonderful day and a wonderful life!!! Blessings, blessings, blessings!!!