Saturday, May 31, 2008

No Assembly Required

Ok, so, I just spent about an hour and forty-five minutes helping Little Sir put together some of the many little pieces that came with the accessories to his new castle. (The castle itself is mostly assembled, with the exception of the drawbridge, flaming torches, flags, and a few other sundries.) Normally, this would be fun. Except that some of these little pieces don't exactly fit where they're supposed to, and some things just don't go the way they look in the pictures. (The brackets for the flaming torches keep popping off the wall, the armor rack doesn't hold the armor the way it's supposed to, etc.) The visors were pretty easy to snap onto the helmets, and the horse's gear went together fairly easily.

I haven't even attempted the catapult yet. I need a break. Mostly because, I have learned, that these new "green" lightbulbs don't give off enough light to work by. I haven't had to do any real close-up work since we've started using them, so I've put up with the annoyance of never feeling like I have enough light (except for in the kitchen, where it drives me crazy. I want to SEE what I'm chopping!) But now it's really starting to bother me. I even checked the closet to see if we might have any of the old lightbulbs left.

Of course not.

Ok. Enough venting. Back to the world of knights.

2 comments:

Luna said...

A catapult?

drawbridge?

flaming torches?

Sounds much to perilous for a child...bring it here..let me face the peril!

Hot stuff!

j-m said...

Yeah. It really is pretty cool. No. One Son spent some time with it this afternoon and remedied some of my wrongs (HE also found the directions! Go figure. Well, at least I TAUGHT him well. sigh.)

The catapult comes with rubbery balls of fire, and the flaming torches on the castle walls are bright orange plastic flame,too. They didn't have anything like this when I was a kid.
I did have Tinkertoys, tho'.