Saturday, August 09, 2008

Painting

I just finished one of those spur-of-the-moment projects. My back and knees are telling me they don't think it was such a hot idea.

DH and I have been planning to paint the house (inside) by the end of the summer, but our schedules have been hectic, and we're rarely together. Others I could enlist to help, also seem on the opposite schedule from mine. So, this afternoon, fresh from work, I decided that, since the weather was kinda cool and crisp for August, it was a good day to start painting.

The bathroom is the smallest room of the house, so I figured I'd tackle that and be done before DH gets home from work around 2 or 3 a.m. So, off to buy spackle and paint, rollers and all the necessary tools. Get home quick. Read the spackle container. Has to dry for 4 hrs. Perfect. I could spackle the few spots that needed it, then run Little Sir to karate class, go do my music lessons, and be back just in time for it to be ready to paint on.

So far, so good. Back home, spackle's dry. Make a quick dinner for Little Sir, and get started. Of course, he doesn't want to eat when I'm doing something much more fun, so, after making him eat a little, prepped the room and handed him a paintbrush and instructed him in the art of painting the low areas. I got busy with the roller.

Three hours later, both of us with more paint on us than I wanted, sore and sleepy, we are done! It's not perfect. It's gonna need a second coat, probably (even tho' the can says it's a 1-coat-er), and I have to re-do part of the trim and put the fixtures back up. And paint the little shelf and remount that. Then do the window.

But, not bad for a work-day project.



3 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I like painting, but when I think about all the prep involved, I always change my mind. We have been putting off painting the second floor of our house for 4 years now. To move the furniture, do the repairs, tape everything off, drop-cloths, children, etc..it is too much. It took us 2 years to paint the first floor and I am dreading the second.

Good for you to just decide to do it alone!! And to get your son involved, bravo!! I try to keep the kids away because all I see is a bigger mess, and I don't like messes :-)

j-m said...

LOL! I hate messes, too...that's a constant theme Little Sir hears from me. But, I was very specific with instructions, gave him a small brush, and had him do low areas, and behind the toilet, that are hard to get to. I put lots of newspaper on the floor, and was diligent in supervision. There were messes, but not too bad. Now, I have to finish the job...sigh. And DH is so enthused he can't wait to get started on the rest :\ I'd rather wait...the rest of the rooms have soooo much prep work to do.

enthalpymama said...

I'm a big fan of spur-of-the-moment projects myself. I normally wait until my husband goes on a business trip. I'm still not sure how I painted my kitchen last fall with three children under 5 years with me, but somehow the kitchen is in fact green. Congratulations!