Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Resumes and Applications

I learned something about myself today. I have always sort of dreaded filling out forms, doing paperwork, doing them as quickly as possible just to get it DONE. But, now that my MA is finished, the certification is in the process of being worked out, it is time to begin job hunting in earnest. Once the resume was polished up, and I got the info. I needed to begin (references' addresses and all that,) the leg work started. For the past few weeks, I've been finding the application process to each of my chosen school districts (within reasonable traveling distance,) which can be very different from district to district.

Well, I picked up my final (I think) application. I had a little extra time, so I went to Starbucks with my handy-dandy gift certificate from Christmas (courtesy of a sweet music student,) got a grande non-fat no-whip mocha (sigh---what a mouthful), settled into a nice table for one, and got busy. Fifteen minutes later I was shocked to find I'd vanished down memory lane, as I was writing all those "previous non-teaching experience" items. Wow. I really have done a lot of different things. Secretary for an electrician's office, tax preparer, waitress, etc. etc. The list of hobbies and non-teaching-related interests did similar things to me. I remembered people and places I haven't thought about in years!

I couldn't believe it took about an hour, even with my resume in hand to copy from, to fill out the whole thing. I actually enjoyed the process, and the memories it brought to me. So much life, so much variety, so much to sum up on those tiny little lines. What should I divulge? What will reflect well on me in an interview? What's not such a good idea? How much is too much? Should I mention previous sports I've done and coached, when I am obviously not in tip-top shape now? If I mention proctoring the National Geography Bee, will they want me to get it going in this school? It's a lot of work. Do I mention international quizzing? What items will open lines of conversation I'd rather not pursue? So many questions!!!

sigh...

5 comments:

Damon Peter Rallis said...

I would rather carve my eyes out with spoons than

- fill out that kind of paperwork
- remember my previous work experience

Let’s see:

- stock boy
- pea picker
- maid
- nanny

OK… Those were my childhood jobs. I know what you mean. It is fun to go down memory lane… you got me thinking about the past here… cool.

Thanks

Nan Patience said...

I was a security guard at the Museum of Modern Art one summer, and I sold Ben & Jerry's ice cream from a mobile vending cart in NYC, and I was a restaurant hostess at the South Street Seaport, and I was a waitress at an American restaurant in Paris..., good times, good times.

A lot of that stuff has of course dropped off the bottom of my resume, but I still cherish the experiences.

j-m said...

Hmmm...this would make a fun survey...
what could you list (forgetting about dates...nothing's too "far in the past") in "non-related work experience"?

Luna said...

House cleaner.

Stacks at the law library.

Bank teller.

Legal clerk.

Fashion merchandiser for what is now Macy's.

Website owner (LOL)

School Secretary

Sunday School Teacher (stop laughing)

The worst part about trying to get all of that onto paper, is trying to remember the dates...UGH..count backwards.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Splish Splash Lifeguard (started that 15 years ago.. the second year it was open)

Shit Shoveler (horse farm)

nanny

I used to work at Sterns in Hampton Bays! LOL.

Recreation Therapist - worked on a locked Alzheimers Unit. Bitter Sweet job for me.

Office Manager for a factory.