Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Substitute

Well, while I am waiting for my real grown-up job to materialize (the one with benefits...medical, retirement, paid sick days and holidays, etc. etc.)
...not that being a private music teacher is not a grown-up job, it's just that I have so much fun with it, and it can be quite unstructured, or student-structured/tailored, answering their personal needs, not some artificial "standards"...(I digress...)

I have been coerced into being a substitute teacher.
Yeah.
You remember her. The one who came in when your "real" teacher was out, who never really knew what was going on, mostly because the "real" teacher neglected to leave anything resembling a lesson plan or hint of what the kids were working on. This was the one you either loved because they were fun and soft on you, and let the class chit chat and hang out, or hated because all they did was punish the ones acting up. The substitute...the one everybody tries to pull something over on.

Yes. Well, that would be me.

Ugh.

NEVER thought I would do this.

On the other hand, it hasn't been all bad. Certified pre-K through 12, I get my pick of a list of teachers and levels to replace for the day or however long they're out. If I don't like a class, I don't have to go back. What a concept!

I got to proctor the English Regents this week, among other things, which was very interesting from the other end of the exam. The listening portion I had to read aloud was actually worth the read.

Some classes are tougher than others, some make you want to scream, or pull your hair out, or are soooo boring you almost fall asleep (not a good thing.)

I'm remembering all kinds of movies...
Sidney Portier's
To Sir, With Love
Stand and Deliver
Dangerous Minds
Mr. Holland's Opus

Ah yes. Time for a new teacher flick. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I remember subbing, oh I feel for you. It wasn't the kids misbehaving that got me, it was the teacher who never left a lesson plan, so like you said, you are helpless and appear to look like you don't know what is going on. I didn't last very long and thankfully I got another job (or rather 3 jobs) that I really enjoyed. You have to put in your time to get anywhere, so you ultimately have to suffer so that you can progress. Are you subbing in just one school?

Good teacher movies? I don't know of any other ones, but then again I am not good with movies. Mr. Holland's Opus, I loved that one!

j-m said...

Hello, a.b.! Little by little, as precious computer time permits, I am re-establishing the old NFP connections.

Thanks for sharing sub. thoughts. The pay is not great (make more waitressing!) but, it is "a foot in the door", and you meet people...connections, networking, all that important stuff. And, if I need to take a day off, nobody gets upset with me!

Nan Patience said...

Little Rascals?