Friday, January 04, 2008

Looking For An Echo

So, there I was,
standing in front of the DVD collection at the public library,
midway through the Day-Quil cycle,
'cause it was too early for Ny-Quil,
feeling all stuffy-headed and blegcchy,
just wanting some movie that I could veg out with,
not requiring too much concentration,
nothing scary or creepy,
nothing too violent or R-rated in any way,
nothing too cutesy,
sophomorish,
or full of irritating-humor-which-I-don't-find-funny-only-stupid,
just about ready to give up and just watch a little kid movie with my 4-year-old,
when I saw it.
"Armand Assante" sort of just jumped out at me.
Now, I am no expert on Armand Assante films, but I've seen a few.
Mostly, I have liked what I've seen. There's just something about the guy.
I feel almost like I know him. He's like so many guys I've known in real life, sort of.
So, anyway, I got the movie, "Looking For An Echo."
And it was perfect.

First of all, it starts with lots of black and white pics of Brooklyn in the early '50's,
with doo-wop music in the background. You see, my mom grew up in Brooklyn, and so I grew up on her stories about Brooklyn...she was a die-hard Brooklyn Dodger fan (and those fans could never really appreciate another team once they defected to another state.) The music was from her era, her time, and it reminded me of that series we used to watch together, "Brooklyn Bridge."

So, that got me hooked.

The rest of the movie was good. Not too anything-I-didn't-want. I cried a little in the sad part, and wished my mom was with me to share it. Or my Grama. An authentic Brooklynite, she would've liked it, too. And the theme song was awesome...as was Edoardo Ballerini, playing Armand's son.

So...my rating of this movie is a solid 4 stars. It's not tremendously flamboyant about anything, just a good, solid story, about some characters I felt I could relate to.

Whether you have any kinds of roots in Brooklyn, or just like Armand Assante, or doo-wop, or a movie about growing up and dealing with what life gives you...check it out.

The library movies are free.

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Even though, apparently, you're feeling under the weather, a little rest has made you a bit poetic! Love this post.

Thanks for the movie recommendation, it's not easy to find a really good flick. And I have Brooklyn in my guts and bones, too. Love, love, LOVE Brooklyn.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

Thanks for the movie idea. I love the library and I am there every few days to check out some movies. I will see if they have it next time I am there.

Feel better :-)

Anonymous said...

"Looking ofr an Echo" is awonderful movie, but my all-time favorite film starring Armand Assante is "Belizaire the Cajun." Funny, sweet and just a little sexy, it reveals his acting skill. Check it out!

j-m said...

Yes! Actually, after watching Looking For An Echo, I went online to the library card catalog (yes...this is a very cool feature...you can reserve items online, and they call you when they're ready for you!) and looked into what other Armand Assante films they had. I have reserved Bel. the Cajun...it sounded interesting.