Sunday, February 03, 2008

Amber Brown

I am a read-aholic. Ok. I admit it. My husband often teases me for it (and I quickly retort with my minutes reading = his hours reading news/politics/finance on the internet...somehow, he doesn't see the equation.) I enjoy reading many different genres, written for various age levels.

My newest discovery (well, I personally did not discover her, the publishing house did that all on its own, but you know what I mean) is the "Amber Brown" series of books by Paula Danziger. I've only read the first 2 books, but so far, I am hooked. In the first book, "Amber" is a 3rd-grader, coping with different stresses in life, including her best friend moving away, with humor and intelligence. She's a 4th grader in the second book. I don't know how old Danziger has let her grow so far.

I would definitely recommend the "Amber Brown" books, probably for 3rd-5th graders...depending on how old "Amber" gets. Maybe older! And for anyone else who, like me, reads "eclectically."

I have a stack of other books (grown-up, mostly) to browse through to see what I'll read next. Riverhead Library has a winter reading club for adults now, so I may even get a free dinner out of it!

What are you reading?

1 comment:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

Reading is very hard to do in my house. I used to read a novel a day, then when my son was born and we moved into a bigger house, I haven't finished a book - that was 3 years ago! I canceled the paper too because I didn't even have time to read that! I do read a lot of things online. I also read so many books to my children, but to take time to read for myself and concentrate hasn't happened. I will look at the Amber Books for my daughter. Maybe in another year she will enjoy them. All of my free time goes to doing things online and doing projects around the house. One day soon I will get to do my favorite thing... read a book or two.