Saturday, February 16, 2008

Since We're Talking About Kids' Stuff...

Maybe it's because I have been reading more kids' books lately, partly to prepare for upcoming lesson plans, and partly to see what I want to add to my personal classroom library, but while Little Sir and I were on our weekly library video/DVD hunt, I was looking for something a little different than we usually get. Sometimes I get him things that are purely educational, like wildlife flicks, or more along the line of The Electric Company, and sometimes I'm aiming for widening his literary/cultural horizons, broadening the base of his culture-acquisition, like last week's The Adventures of Robin Hood, with the incomparable Errol Flynn.

This week, I just wanted something different...not sure what...

And then I saw it, and I knew this was the one. Did you ever read Beverly Cleary's books? She was one of my favorite authors, as a child...I love the Beezus and Ramona books (even tho' I wasn't sure I particularly
liked either sister), Henry and Ribsy, and especially The Mouse and the Motorcycle. It was made into a movie many eons ago, so the animation of the mouse isn't as high-tech as Stuart Little, but it's still good. Little Sir was absolutely laughing out loud at several portions...deep, belly laughs. I was laughing, just listening to him laugh! And it is funny.

It's a cute flick, which the box says for "ages 4-11, adults" ... whatever THAT means.


For a little light fun, innocent, nonobtrusive, and worth even comparing to modern computer-animation techniques, check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

The Mouse and the Motorcycle is a favorite here too. I love the library.