Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ya Hadta Be There

Life from a 4-year-old's perspective can be very interesting, and the communicating of life's experiences often needs a translator (transliterator?) to sort out the details. Case in point: our first real field trip, tagging along with East End Homeschoolers at the Long Island Science Center. Little Sir was telling his big sister all about it on the phone. It went something like this.

"Guess what? We had a chocolate class today!"

"Really! Was it fun?"

"Yeah. And we ate yucky beans." ("cocoa beans," I prompted)

"And it was hot."

"The room was hot?"

"No. The chocolate. It was hot. It came in a cup. And we made shapes out of it."

"Oh! You made chocolate to eat?"

"Yeah. And there were bugs!"

"Bugs in the chocolate?"

"No."

"You used a candy mold shaped like bugs?"

"No." ("We were at the Science Center." I whisper.)

"We were at the Science Center."

"Oh! The Science Center had bugs."

"Yeah. They were in a cage. There were lots of them!"

"Oh."

"And a snake!"

"A snake?"

"Yeah. He had a really long tail."

"Oh. That's nice."

"Yeah. And I got a yoyo."

"Did they do something with yoyos at the Science Center?"

"No."

"Did they show you how to use one?"

"No."

"Was it a chocolate yoyo?"

"No. It's here! Wanna see it?" He holds his new yoyo up to the phone.

Deep sigh... "I gotta go now. I love you. Bye!"



Sometimes I wish I had it all on tape.


7 comments:

Damon Peter Rallis said...

LOL

Great!

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I love little kid stories, they lighten up the day :-)

Luna said...

Was it "Bella" the snake?

I have picture of my little one with Bella the snake from the sciencenter when she was about 3. She was the only kid in the class that would wear it (even the boyes were petrified) The picture is the greatest, because she looks SO serene for a kid with a snake around her neck.

Of course, she had something in common with the snake, perhaps that's why she was so eager to wear it ;)

j-m said...

I don't know the snake's name...it was just on display, not part of the program of the day. I do NOT think my little one would touch it, much less allow it around his neck! Wow...she's got guts.

Natasha Beccaria said...

love it!!

Nan Patience said...

Great, and I do the same thing. Like yours, my additions are critical at times.

Mom of 3 said...

That is too cute.
I am glad he had a nice time and it was a fun, memorable experience!