Monday, February 11, 2008

Another Book Review

My current job has some lag time, which permits me extra reading time. I have not found any wonderful grown-up books to report (I have started and left many, not worth finishing, and one I did finish left me very disappointed at the end.) However, I have discovered two more for elementary kids, probably more for girls than boys, but not necessarily so.

Me and the Pumpkin Queen, by Marlane Kennedy. A delightful book that follows a girl through several years in elem. school. She's not prissy prim, but more interested in successfully growing a giant pumpkin to enter the Pumpkin Show (there are lots of details in this process) than nail polish and clothes. She is also dealing with the recent death of her mother, and has a wonderful relationship with her dad and grandparents. Her best friend is a boy, which is another healthy relationship. Probably appropriate for ages 7-12, depending on reading ability, I give this 4 stars.

Lucy Rose, by Katy Kelly. There are at least 3 of these out: Lucy Rose Big On Plans, Lucy Rose Busy Like You Can't Believe, and Lucy Rose Working Myself to Bits and Pieces. This character is delightful, intelligent, a little quirky, a breath of fresh air. She and her best friend, Jonique, spend a lot of time coming up with ideas to help other people, from the residents of a retired-people's home, to Jonique's mom's struggling to open a bakery business. Lucy Rose's parents are going through separation/divorce, but are doing so with a healthy supportive relationship with their daughter. Both sets of gradnparents are also available, which adds much flavor and humor to these books. Lucy Rose gets 4 stars from me, probably appropriate for ages 7-10, depending on reading ability.

5 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I have to start making a list for my daughter...thanks J-M :-)

j-m said...

Yes...and let me know how she likes them!

Mom of 3 said...

We just returned from the library where I registered for the Winter Reading Program (thank you) and tried very hard to remember the names of the books you suggested for JR. She was quite unhappy that I couldn't recall the titles you so generously provided! Looks like we are headed back on Monday :)

j-m said...

Hey, momof3!
Is JR reading my blog now, too?
I feel like I've just entered a new realm!

Y'know I used to think the 2 dream jobs would be 1) restaurant critic and 2) book critic. Getting paid to eat and read, and giving your opinion!!! What could be better?

But then, I almost took a job as a book reviewer...they send you tons of books, and MANY may not be to your personal taste (genre, etc.) but have to read them anyway. Now, if I could get a job as a children's books reviewer... that'd be fun!

j-m said...

Oh...and a note about the grown-up book club at Riv. Library...check out the prize of the week before you put your slip in the box. Some of the prizes may be something you really wouldn't want, anyway. I am saving mine for a restaurant prize!