Saturday, July 12, 2008

Phish Food

I love how Natasha says she's a "Wine connoisseur. Gourmet coffee drinker. Chocoholic. Cheese snob. "

For many years I've thought of myself as all of the above, plus a list of other-snobs, insisting on the freshest fish, freshest local veggies, etc., as well as something of an ice cream snob. For years, I was a Breyers-only (all natural ingredients!), then graduated to Haagen-Dasz when the budget allowed. I'd heard about Ben & Jerry's, but quite honestly, the names of the flavors sort of turned me off, and I didn't check them out any further. I assumed that with names like those, they had to be full of all sorts of chemicals, blah blah blah.

Well, the other day, we had a play date at the beach, which went all wrong...as soon as the blankets were all spread out right, everyone properly sunblocked, toys sorted, etc...it started getting dark, and there was this ominous booming, and then the lifeguards blew the whistle and people swarmed to their cars, getting pelted with cup-sized drops of rain. I had to quickly come up with a Plan B for two 4/5-year-olds and accompanying grown-ups. Hmmm...came up with a picnic in a place that I knew had covered tables. Then, the other mom offered ice cream, and a particular one was reccommended, which, I discovered when delivered, was B & J's. Huh. My first try. Ok. I'm a sport.

And I was hooked.

So tonight, DD and I had a movie night, first one in ages and ages, and she wanted B & J's. So, I actually went to the grocery store and bought some. Coffee Heath Bar Crunch for me (mmmm) and Phish Food for her. Now, again, thrown by the name originally, I wouldn't have tried it. But I did. And it has actual fish-shaped dark chocolate chunks. I loved it. Delicious! And then, I read the label ('cause I read absolutely everything) and found out all kinds of other stuff, like, what percentage of sales went to what charity, and how they came up with the name, and that the coffee extract was Fair Trade Certified. Very cool.

Ok, so, this mom, always struggling with the weight loss thing, now has a new secret-treat love...for that once a month movie night when ya gotta have something other than salad...it's B & J's.

1 comment:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I am not much of an ice cream person, so when I have it, it has to be good. I actually have a thing of Haagen Dazs frozen yogurt Raspberry Vanilla Swirl in my freezer for about 2 months. It is low fat (or non-fat), low cal, but I have to be in the mood. I would rather save the calories for a salty snack :-)

And there is nothing wrong with being a food snob, God knows I am ;-) LOL