Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Aspiratör

My favorite new Turkish word is "apiratör" (ya gotta rrroll those 'r's), meaning "room fan". It's been so hot, we borrowed a large oscillating fan to sleep at night. I love the aspiratör.


It's funny, it depends what time of day it is, which windows are opened in the house. In the early hours, all the windows are open, but by 9:30 a.m. or so, only those on the waterview side of the house are opened. The side getting sun always has windows closed and curtains drawn. (Most Turkish homes have layers of white cotton curtains, the one facing the room being lace. Turkish lace is really something. I haven't seen anything like it since my grandmother's. Haven't priced any yet, but it is gorgeous.)

In the earlier part of the day, there is a beautıful breeze coming through the windows of the kitchen and the little bedroom. These windows overlook the Bosphorus, or Istanbul Straıt. This strait forms the boundary between the European side (Thrace) and the Asian side (Anatolia). There are other straıts ın Turkiye, such as the Dardanelles, which have been used for internatıonal trade for centuries. The Bosphorus (Istanbul) connects the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara (whıch, through the Dardanelles, is connected to the Aegean Sea, which ıs connected to the Medıterranean...)

("The hip bone's connected to the...thigh bone...the thigh bone's connected to the...knee bone..."...I digress...)

Later ın the heat of the day, these windows are closed with the rest...they only let ın hot air, which is oppressive. They're reopened in the evenıng, when the breezes are cool again.

I love looking out the bedroom window at the water, the bridge connecting 2 continents, imagining all the history that's happened here. And at night, the city is all lit up, looking ancient and exotic, yet modern at the same time. Istanbul: it brıdges past and present as it bridges Europe and Asia.

Each time I come, I understand the language, the culture, the people, the history a little bit better. I feel less of an outsider, an observer, and more of an active participant. All that is in my brain, lessons from school and lessons from life, have prepared me for this time...for such a time as this. And it is quickened to me, "Embrace the culture you are immersed in."








3 comments:

Janet said...

All the small little things that God has us learn (one way or another)all come together. I have never thought about Turkey - but you have brought it to life for me. Thank you (and your family) for sharing it all
And if Patty gets to go and play - then I get to too!!

j-m said...

Absolutely! We're going to Kapodokiya (Cappodocıa of NT) soon.

Patty said...

Yay, lets all go play!! This is like reading a comfy novel!! really good stuff! Please get lots of scenery pix...Janet, lets get going!!