Tuesday, July 21, 2009

To Dance In The Streets

We danced in the street last night, 18-year-old nıece, Gizem, DH's childhood buddy, Ali, and I, to the wedding music down the steep hill. The others watched, clapping and grinning at the American doing the folk-dance steps in these circle dances. As is Turkish and Mediterranean custom, the evening before and the day of the wedding, folk musicians set up outside the couple's parents' house and play for hours, while friends, family and neighbors (and uninvited guests like me!) come to join in the festivities and dancing. It's like a big public well-wishing for the new couple.

I was glad I remembered the steps from last visit! I'd like to learn others. (I taught them the Cupid Shuffle...not quite a fair trade, but...maybe we'll do the Alley Cat, too. Certainly not the Hokey Pokey. The girls know samba & some ballroom from dance group.)

2 comments:

Patty said...

hello! keep forgetting to check this! Whose wedding was this? Sounds like so much fun!!

j-m said...

Just a neighbor.