Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Shopping Inconsistencies

I understand all about world trade (in theory), import and export taxes, costs of shipping and all that, but sometimes the drastic differences in prices between U.S.A. & Turkiye is remarkable. Bıg name brands from the States like Nike, Converse, Levis, etc. can be upwards of a hundred dollars more in Turkey, while other products are really cheaper here.

Case in point: suitcases.

Before traveling, we did a little suitcase shopping and found replacing our falliıng apart luggage for anything decent was beyond the budget for this trip. We made do with DH's luggage he came to the States with and a borrowed big piece from DD. Samsonite at Tanger, on clearance, wanted over 300 dollars for one piece, smaller than hers. DH suggested İ try in Istanbul. We went fairly locally, so we could walk (trying to save pennies by not usiıng taxis), and found a very reasonable luggage store. A 3-piece set, made in Turkiye, good quality with much better wheels than our existing pieces, went for 120 ytl. (1 American dollar is approximately 1 1\2 ytl - Turkish lira). So, about 80 dollars...for 3 pieces. DH said I should go back and buy 2 more bigger pieces for the next trip. Crazy not to, as what we have is really finished.

I don't know what gold is going for an ounce in the U.S. It seems really prıcey here, right now. Have to check out the comparison of that. We just went shopping yesterday for "baby gold," as is the tradition to give when a relative has a baby...tiny little gold goin on a red-ribboned pin with the baby's birthyear stamped on it. These get cashed in, as they lose their value after the year (don't ask me...I still don't quite understand that.) It seems what I got for DH's cousin's new little one is more than I've spent before.

I am reminded, however, the difference between Turkish gold and American gold. It is 24 karat here, and a bright, deep-yellow color, with an almost orange tint. It stays brilliant through time, and is almost not real-looking, to me, compared with other gold. The aunts today were talking about comparisons between gold-leaf and white gold, but honestly...they were talking so fast, I couldn't quite follow the conversation. (It's tiresome to keep saying, "Lütfen, daha yavaş konoşur musunuz"..."please, talk a little slower.")

more on shopping later...

2 comments:

Janet said...

I recall the first time you went and got all the coins for Little Sir. you mentioned you had to bring them all in before you returned. If the coins are 24kt would they not continue to be good in USA although they aren't in T?
And also I recall you were sent home with all new luggage since you received so many gifts!!
I have come to dislike shopping in the USA because of the quality and where it all is made. it is very refreshing to hear how great your shopping trips have been. All your "school" shopping for the teacher is wonderful!
Keep the blog going - I totally enjoy it. Can I share it with my DD? She will be here Monday!

j-m said...

They are "good", but you can't sell them for actual value, like here.

The luggage my fil bought me is huge...great for transporting comforters, pılls, heavy household stuff, but not really for normal suitcases. Very bulky.

Feel free to share! The more the merrier.