Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Deer Ticks and Such

I was so happy. DH and I decided, after fighting with our old lawn mower too many times, to go out and buy a new one. Last night, we found one, and bright and early this morning, DH was mowing away on this big piece of property, surrounded by woods...tick heaven. I was out with him, clearing away branches, etc. We are always so careful...wear long pants tucked into socks, covered shoes, shower immediately after and throw the clothes in the washer, then dryer, check everything. Well, a little while ago, I was talking on the phone, and noticed this unusual tiny mark on my leg. A deer tick. Called the dr.'s office...closed. Got the service...they took a message. What do I do? Take it out? Leave it in? Called the hospital...they can't give advice over the phone. Went online...read how to take it out and what to do next.

Now, I am not entirely sure I got it all out...it's so tiny...I think the head's still in there. I rubbed it with alcohol, and then with Neosporin, which has antibiotic in it.

Anybody have any great advice?


Oh...and we also found a new patch of poison ivy in the back yard. Since it's been drizzly on and off, I can't spray it.

This is not my idea of gardening at its best. I love being outdoors, and want my family out there...I feel it's healthy.

Healthy...maybe not.

4 comments:

Luna said...

oh no-I don't have any advice for the deer tick..except get thee to the doctor, just to be sure.

The ivy, now THAT I can help you out with--if you get it.

To pull the ivy out, put on old clothes that you are going to throw away, old gloves, and sunglasses-rip it out and put it in a black garbage bag (along with the clothes and gloves).

If you get it, let me know, I just recovered from a bout with it.

I'm jealous about the new mower--good for YOU!!!!

j-m said...

The dr. on call said to watch it...if in 2 days, there's any swelling, rash, etc., go for bloodwork. If not, go for a test anyway in 2 wks, just to be sure. I do NOT have time to be sick. It does NOT fit into my schedule! Therefore, I am NOT HAVING ANY!

Last summer we used some spray on the p.i. It turned it like fall foliage, then killed it. That spot has not come back, but about five ft. away, there's a new batch. Does pulling it up make it go away completely?

And the mower...yeah. It was worth all the aggravation getting it...that would take a whole blog to tell the story. Now that we have it, all I can think is, why did we kill ourselves for so long with that old monster. It would fight you every step of the way. Spend a little money, and be done with the stress.

Do you use a weed whacker?

Luna said...

I can't hold it very long, it's too heavy-so I am the mower and hedgetrimmer, but not the resident weed wacker.

I am a weakling.

Can you lift and hold it?

j-m said...

The reason I asked is, I've never had one. I always trimmed as close as possible with the mower, then cut the edges with scissors, or just pulled it out.
Thinking about getting one and looking for advice.