Saturday, June 30, 2007

Music at the Coffee Shop

My life seems to revolve in circles. People will be in my life for awhile, then sort of phase out as our paths separate, then the paths will merge again, or run parallel, so we can still see each other, even if we're not actually involved in the same things at the same time. Like links on a necklace-chain, the circles touch, then are separate, then touch again as the chain slides around, all linked in one big loop.

Early this a.m., I decided to make a rare trip to the coffee shop on my way to work. There was a guy standing at the counter that I have known on and off through different musical connections, and haven't seen in several years. As I asked him about a band I know he used to play in, his job with sound systems and other things, we caught up a bit. Then I asked, "Are you playing anyplace locally?" the coffee shop lady said, "Yeah, right here, tonight!"

So...after work and dinner, Little Sir and I went back to the coffee shop for live music, which we enjoyed very much. Little Sir, always the active participant, played air drums and air guitar along with the band. We saw some other old friends from musical circles... and... Natasha! In the flesh! Blog world touches reality! I thought it was her, from her beautiful picture, and then saw the guy she was with and knew it was them. I introduced myself, and it was very interesting...I have never met someone in real life that I only knew from their writing before. It's like you know them, but yet you don't know them...a sort of estranged closeness. Not sure how to word this. It reminds me of a friend of ours who met his wife online. They communicated for awhile before they met in the flesh...she lived in New Zealand and came to NY to meet him...and they got married soon after. I wonder what they felt like, those first few hours after actually meeting each other.

After that, Little Sir and I went off to find a good parking place near Riverhead Raceway to see the fireworks (and be able to exit quickly afterward.) They were fun, as always. I love fireworks. It doesn't matter how old I get, they never lose their fascination for me.

It was a very nice end to a very nice day, indeed.

3 comments:

Luna said...

Oooh-THAT is wild-you saw Natasha. Cool. Sounds like a great time, and it's cool that your son was there too.

Toni and I were there this afternoon!!!!!

Know what you mean about people fading in and out-totally. No coincidences, my friend.

Natasha Beccaria said...

it was great to meet you Jean Marie... a wonderful surprise!

j-m said...

I agree, Luna...there are no coincidences. I call it a Divine Plan. (It works the other way too...when things don't go the way I've planned, it always turns out to be for "a reason" and I'm glad.)

Yes, Natasha, great to meet you, too.