Friday, July 27, 2007

The Electric Company & Isaac Hayes

There must be something in the air, because I see a common theme developing here. First, I happened upon DVDs of the original Electric Company episodes (The Children's Television Workshop, 1972 - 1985) a couple of days ago. I wanted to share these with Little Sir, and we got a real kick out of them. A young Bill Cosby, together with Rita Moreno, Morgan Freeman, Gene Wilder, and a host of others, made learning to read different, interesting, and fun. Even now, looking back at all the retro 70's clothes (and that HAIR!), and music, and the dancing to the music, there is great value in the work they did, and it's still lots of fun to watch (yes, even for adults.)

Then, I heard Terry Gross' interview with Isaac Hayes, reminiscent of the same time period, on
NPR today. (This Fresh Air show was from 1994, I think.) I'm sure everyone has some recollection of Isaac Hayes...the name must ring a bell. Remember Shaft? He wrote that theme song (very, very cool.)

No? Don't remember
Shaft. Ok. How 'bout Superfly or I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka from the late 60's, early 70's? The music to those would be Isaac's also. Also very, very cool.

Actually, Isaac
defined "cool". Remember The Blues Brothers? Well, "Soul Man" was co-written by Isaac Hayes, as well as "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay." In Terry's interview, she asked Isaac how he came up with the idea for "Soul Man", and he told the story of the Detroit riots, and how the song was born from that time. Terry also asked how the Shaft theme was born, and his detailed, instrument by instrument, sound by sound, feeling by feeling, description of its composition was wonderful. Remember that wah-wah guitar sound? Well, we have Isaac to thank for that, bringing it into mainstream music.

This interview made me wanna go rent the videos from this genre...and get Isaac's CDs again. For a flash back to the past, check them out. You'll be glad you did, I'm sure.
There was a lot going on in my life during some of those years, some very traumatic, but I remember this music and some of this work as happy times in the midst of the pain. In the second half of my summer, I plan to check out some of this stuff...we're gonna get the rest of the E. Co. DVDs from the library and watch them, I'm gonna find Shaft and Superfly, Isaac Hayes' music, and also those Bill Cosby stand-up routines. My all-time favorites were Noah ("Noah..." "Yes, Lord..." "How long can you tread water?") and his pieces about his babies. I remember laughing 'til I had tears rolling down my cheeks, every time I heard the records (yes, I said "records"...those black vinyl things you put on a turntable actually held music and speech before rappers' scratchers discovered others uses for them)...even when I knew what line was coming next!

I didn't plan on this particular trip down Memory Lane this summer, but down I'm going...
Wanna come?

6 comments:

Luna said...

Ooohhh---my favorite show was the Electric Company when I was a kid--I remember seeing it again somewhere as an adult and thinking that a lot of the jokes must have went right over my head. It is fun to watch no matter what age.

Took the kids to see the ladies from The Magic Garden (another one of my all time faves as a kid) a few years ago at Westhampton. I remember being so excited to see it all again-the Story Box, the Chuckle Patch. They friggin' cried and whined during the whole show-in fact, I had to leave early. I was crushed-they hated them.

Used to love Schoolhouse Rock too--they've re-released those on DVD.

Guess kids today like different stuff.

j-m said...

I love Schoolhouse Rock, too. And of course I remember Magic Garden...can still see them singing and playing guitar. I think many things translate well from generation to generation, but others, they need to be exposed to them early, as older stuff isn't as high-tech and colorful. I remember my parents loving "The Shadow" radio show, and I was excited when I found it again on the radio when I was in about 4th grade or so. Sure, it takes more effort to listen to a radio show, then having it all done for you on t.v., but it was worth it, to me. Other things I loved (Raggedy Ann and Andy, and the Oz books, for instance, did not go over so well with my kids...I love them!) Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse have certainly weathered the generations...others, too.

Luna said...

And those Donnie and Marie Dolls I used to have.........

Someone sent me the greatest email once, it had pictures of all kind sof stuff we had as kids--what a trip that was-it had like, those Dr. Scholl's sandals, metal lunchboxes and all this stuff I totally had as a kid, and forgot about. Wonder if I could dig it up?

Hmmmmm......

j-m said...

Yeah, I got an email like that, too. I had a hula hoop, a Chinese jumprope, a pogo stick, a Slinky, Silly Putty, and Matchbox cars on that plastic racetracks that went up and over furniture, all over the house. I had a Chatty Cathy doll, too.

Do you remember the New Zoo Revue? (Review???) Nanny and the Professor?

Luna said...

Those don't sound familiar-I think you and I have a ten year span in age, so we may have some overlaps, but not everything will register. I had a Betsy Wetsy though or whatever her name was-the doll that peed.

How gross was that? What were people thinking?

j-m said...

I answered this last LunaChick comment, but it's disappeared...odd.
Anyway...I had one of those drink-n-wet dolls, too, but Mom didn't share the vital info. I didn't know her hidden talents. Mom was afraid she'd go moldy inside.

What about that doll whose hair would grow if you cranked her arm? She was brunette, and had a little blonde sister. Don't remember their names...I realllly wanted one. Never got it.

I just passed the big 4-0, so yeah. I had a lot of hand-me-down toys, tho', from older cousins, if I remember correctly.