Sunday, July 08, 2007

Sounds like Summer to Me

I have been awakened a few days in a row by our neighbor's free-ranging chickens and roosters who seem to like our yard better than theirs. Whoever said that roosters crow at sunrise never lived where I do. The roosters crow whenever they darn well feel like it, over and over and over...the best is when they do this call-and-response thing from one end of the yard to another.

There also seems to be a buzz-saw contest going on on our street, because you can hear them dueling from either side of our driveway at first light. All kinds of power tools join in up and down the block...there's no discrimination, here.

After listening to raccoons duking it out in our yard around 3 a.m., with no amount of my turning on the outside floods, or making banging, clanging sounds out the back door discouraging them in the least, I muttered nasty things about them as I tossed and turned. They, being nocturnal, and not at all bothered by my lack of sleep, waddled off into the brush when they were just good and ready. I dragged myself to work this morning, looking like a "before" picture in a makeover contest. Why lack of sleep effects even my hair, I have no idea.

A few days in a row of this, and I might consider Sominex (do they still make that? I remember it from ads on Grandma's Lawrence Welk Show when I was little.)

Now, after a delightful afternoon at the beach, Little Sir and I have showered and are in the middle of making dinner from our farm stand excursion purchases. My eyes are starting to close on their own, and I still have commitments to meet. As I wait for the corn to boil, I'm typing this, with all the house windows closed, so Little Sir won't have an allergy fit...in the background is the whirr of DH's new lawn mower. Ah, yes...sounds like summer, to me.

9 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Boy oh boy. Sounds like we have to have a work party over at your house, making some large red "Be Quiet Dammit" signage (just cross out the "For Sale" lettering) for the neighborhood and cleaning our pea shooters.

I had a parade through my bedroom the other night you wouldn't believe. First, the child who was here for a sleepover couldn't sleep, and that started at about 11pm and ended with her going home at about 12:30am. Then my daughter came in, complaining of a stomach ache. Got her a drink of water, tucked her back in, and went back to bed. But wait, next was my son. I forget now what his problem was, but he went back in bed, and I think it was at least 1:30am before I could safely close my eyes. Next thing I remember, my husband was chirping that it was 9am, am I getting up today??

j-m said...

Oh, yes! Please come! And bring some raccoon repellent to leave here, while you're at it. (Actually, tick repellent and poison ivy repellent would be nice too...both of them are thriving like crazy.)

The pediatrician noted Little Sir's tonsils are quite enlarged, and he asked me if he snores, if this wakes him up, if he stops breathing at night, 'cause maybe we should consider surgery...wait a minute...STOPS BREATHING??? Great, now even when I can sleep, I CAN'T sleep, because I'm subconsciously listening to be sure he's breathing!

There is definitely a conspiracy going on around here, too.

Nan Patience said...

Little bird had sleep apnea, and we had her tonsils and adenoids taken out, and now she sleeps like an angel. The big problem with sleep apnea, aside from the stop breathing thing, is that they're missing much needed sleep and oxygen that they need to grow, be strong, and be healthy. She's a bigger, stronger, healthier kid since she had that op...

j-m said...

I don't think Little Sir has apnea, but he has always been little...since birth. He's prone to allergies, which sometimes bring on other things. I'm really thinking about this op., but not sure it's really the answer. It won't make the allergies go away...I don't know. Something new to worry about.

Anonymous said...

just checking to see if I can post...had trouble earlier

Natasha Beccaria said...

Dogs! We have DOGS barking... constantly... all hours of the night and day in our neighborhood. GRRR. But since we had the air conditioning in the last few days we havent heard a thing! Of course the heatwave is over now... back to the barking dogs.

Jean Marie.. have you tried allergy shots? Something to consider. It builds up an immunity in his body, but takes FOREVER.

Little Sir is so darn adorable. What a personality.

j-m said...

Ugh...we've had the dog thing too (actually, dogs fighting WITH the raccoons...that's fun.)

Thanks, from the Cutie. Yes, he is Mr. Personality. His big brother says he's got the stuff for the ladies, too...he gets shy, when appropriate, and knows how to use the eyes.

Before pursuing surgery, we will go back to the allergist...I hate anything invasive, whether shots or surgery, but I don't want him living on meds, either. I've tried dealing with this naturally...perhaps an alternative/herbalist. Anyone have a recommendation???

Natasha Beccaria said...

the only natural remedy i know of is the shots...

Are you familiar with out it works?

What's he allergic to anyway?

j-m said...

initially it was wheat and other related grasses/grains, as well as "seasonal" allergies, and cats. Now, he seems to be able to eat anything, but the seasonal/cat thing can be pretty bad. Definitely oak trees, and God only knows what else.