Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Swimming Upstream

Little Sir and I had plans to go to the concert at Agawam Park in Southampton last night, but it was cancelled, due to "inclement weather". It was to be a Celtic band I've never heard, and I was looking forward to it. Celtic music, and all things Celtic, hearkens to the Scots-Irish blood in me.

We went to the library instead, and got movies: "Blues Clues" for Little Sir, and
Swimming Upstream, for me. I love true story movies, especially ones with a sports theme, where the underdog triumphs in the end. Swimming Upstream is the story of an Australian (yes, that again) kid who discovers his gift for swimming, ends up a national champion with a full scholarship to Harvard. It's a great story, but rated PG-13 because of the alcoholism and some pretty violent family scenes. Because of those scenes, it's not appropriate for little ones.

For the littler ones, I have to say
Blue's Room: Shape Detectives is quite good. So many little kid movies are tooooo silly, or cloying, or patronizing, or, from the other end, exhibit behavior I do not want my little one to emulate. This one has 4 episodes in it, one about shapes, and 3 with more advanced themes of "weight and balance", "mathstronauts", and "words."

I give both movies my official "Thumbs Up"!

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

what a bunch of Hampton sissies. The Jamesport Firemen's parade was on.

j-m said...

Did you go? Did you get rained on? It poured here, just about the time the concert would've started. I hope the parade was in one of those dry pockets.

Luna said...

Oooh, Celtic music. Far out. Too bad it didn't happen for you.

The Australian thing again, huh?

Hmmmmmmm.........

j-m said...

Yeah. Who knows???