Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Snowy Mountains Scheme

As well as having a life-long fantasy about Alaska and the Iditarod, I have had one about Australia. As a young adolescent, I read a lot of books about Australia, and fiction set there, and saw my "true" life there, living the tough life on a farm. I was particularly interested in the Snowy River, and envisioned myself galloping along on horseback through the countryside.

When The Man From Snowy River came along, I watched it, and the series that followed, loving every minute of it. It was one of those things my Mom and I shared. The Man from Snowy River, Avonlea, Brooklyn Bridge, and another WWII period-piece series set in the States that I can't remember the name of now (the theme song was "Accentuate the Positive"...anybody else remember it, from the late 80's, early 90's, I think???)...these we would sit together and share every week...and I can't see anything like them without wanting to call her up and see it with her.

Recently we borrowed
Snowy from the library, a series that looks like it was aired on the Disney channel or BBC, set in 1949. It is historical fiction, showing what happened to the little towns and communities when Australia started the Snowy Mountains Scheme...a plan to make Australia even more independent, by changing the direction of this mighty river, through the mountains (mostly underground), using 16 major dams and 7 power stations, providing vast amounts of hydroelectric power. (see the website for info...it really is fascinating. http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/snowyscheme/) Being a teacher, I am always interested in history, and how specific events affect the people. A large percentage of the work was done by migrants, mostly European people displaced after the destruction of their homes and towns from WWII.

We've seen the first 2 discs so far, and I plan to watch more tonight. Like all series, it's a bit soap-opera-y, but I really like it, and give it my official thumbs up.

Check it out, and let me know if you love it, too!

3 comments:

Luna said...

I don't know if you believe in past lives at all, but some would argue that a fascination with a certain time period, or recurring thoughts of certain landscape or scenery might be a hint at somewhere you've been before but aren't really conscious of. Since you have envisioned these places so vividly and consistently, it was the first thing I thought of.

Just a thought........

j-m said...

Ever hear of "racial memory"? It is something I have had glimpses of, but have felt uncomfortable to pursue. I would lean more that way, however.

On the other hand, I tend to be deeply empathetic (maybe that's why I work so well with immigrants from all over) and flexible. I can fit into all sorts of different situations, cultures, etc...as much as I love this Island of ours, I have a hankering to really see many other places, really experience them (not just a 4-day vacation.) We'll see where this all leads. Only time will tell.

Luna said...

Fascinating stuff, and yes, it can be a little frightening and uncomfortable to explore or think about. Cool that you have that kind of insight to even catch a glimpse of it.