Sunday, July 15, 2007

Shakespeare in the Park

Little Sir and I were supposed to go to the Shakespeare Festival held at Suffolk Comm. College's Riverhead campus on Thurs. night...but I forgot. I had it all planned, then went brain dead around 5 pm. Little Sir wanted something to do, and I was running on empty creativity-wise, so we copped out and got a video from the library (which was just o.k....nothing to write home about.) Realized it in the morning. We had plans for a kids-included-barbecue with friends I'd made at Stony Brook for Fri. nite, so that bumped Shakespeare to Saturday.

I wasn't sure how DH would take Shakespeare. He has enough trouble with modern day English, let alone all the "thee"s and "thou"s, but he was game, so off we went with our blanket to sit on.

The stage was set in the center quad, and was beautifully done. We loved the gorgeous costumes, and the props just right. Most of the talented cast played several roles. Their version of The Merry Wives of Windsor proved that Shakespeare is timeless, fit for any audience. Little Sir and DH laughed spontaneously in all the appropriate places, and both enjoyed themselves immensely.

Afterward, and today, DH commented several times how good it was, and that he was surprised how much he liked it. He loves history, and the clothes and all from that period, but was intimidated by the dialogue. Even though he didn't understand every word (it moved a bit fast for me, at times, too!), it still translates well.

If you ever get the chance to see the Long Island Shakespeare Festival, by all means, go! You don't have to be an English Literature scholar to be delighted by the experience.

8 comments:

Luna said...

That sounds great. Love Shakespeare.

Also reminds me of the worst thing I ever saw. Had this tapped out professor for "theater" or some required class in undergrad.

Sent us to see Hamlet, somewhere down in the village.

Picture this: Hamlet, set in 1940s Nazi Germany.

Need I say anymore?

Natasha Beccaria said...

I love Shakespeare too. Its so much better to WATCH than to read! Afterall, thats what it was meant for!

I think I have that flyer about Shakespeare on Long Island. And thanks for reminding me that i MUST make the effort to go and see one of them.

j-m said...

I don't know about any more "Merry Wives", but I cut and pasted this for anybody interested:

Shakespeare in the Parks/Hamlet

The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is please to announce Shakespeare in the Park performances by The Long Island Shakespeare Festival performing the Shakespearean classic Hamlet 7/25 Caumsett 7/26 Planting Fields 7/29 Bayard Cutting Arboretum 8/5 Caumsett 8/6 Planting Fields This is a free program, however, the vehicle use fee is in effect. Visitors are encouraged to bring either lawn chairs or blankets for seating. No picnicking, barbecues or open fires are permitted. Call for Rain Dates **Rain Date: Thursday July 20 at 6:00 pm**

Date: 7/25/07 - 8/6/07
Time: 6:00 PM


(the editor-snob in me noticed a typo of theirs...anyone else see it? I make so many myself, I get a kick out of seeing others in prof. pub.s)

j-m said...

Anybody know what happened to the Shakespeare Festival that used to be in Montauk every year?

Nan Patience said...

Aha! Missing a period they are.

j-m said...

And "is please to announce"...not "pleased"...

MamaCole said...

Hi. Sounds great. I went to a Shakespeare performance in Greenport a couple of years back with my DH and 2 young DCs. One little one slept through the whole thing, but the older one (she was about 5 at the time) LOVED it. The key was sitting close up. What great exposure for our little ones!

j-m said...

Welcome. Nicole! I agree...we had good seats up front where Little Sir 4-Year-Old could see all the action. There was another one in Mitchell Park, but we couldn't get there.